Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tuesday Easy Run (5.23 mi - 45 minutes - 8:36 min/mi)


Malcolm Gladwell, the author of The Tipping Point, makes the claim in his book Outliers: The Story of Success that the best way to be truly excellent at something is to spend 10,000 hours honing your skills with focused practice. If true I am due for a truly breakout performance by my 40th birthday. I started running in earnest in August of 2008. Since then I have logged 220 hours of running into my Buckeye Outdoors account following some kind of training plan or another.

Right now I am an average runner. My age-graded race results are just barely over the 50th percentile. For as much as I talk about running I'd like to do better than average. I do believe I put in the work, so maybe the only thing I am lacking is the years of practice. The good news is that I am on my way.

Now, I should probably try to think about logging more time at another aspect of life that I could stand to be excellent in.

No comments: