Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday Easy Run (4 mi - 32:40 - 8:10 min/mi)

Another four miles on the treadmill. I only wanted to get the minimum standard miles in for my 10-mile race training regimen. Four to seven miles were ordered for an easy recovery day after my "long run" on Sunday. What the heck is a "recovery run" you ask? Some believe that the recovery run increases blood flow to the legs and removes the built up lactic acid from a previous hard run. Others believe that the recovery run gives the runner a chance to recruit additional muscle fibers due to the fibers that are normally used being allowed to rest from a previous hard workout, which should increase overall strength.

Bottom line is, I don't think I am doing it right or calling it the right thing. If I do a "recovery run" after a hard workout this may make sense, but since I am doing this after a rest day I should just call it what it is: a chance to warm-up for another week of my endurance base building.

No comments: