Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday 10K Pace Intervals (3 x 1600m @ 6:58 min/mi)

Tonight I searched for a good 10K race training program as I really plan on running a strong race on 13 December at the Jingle All the Way 10K in DC. I think I found one at Running Planet. I fast-forwarded to through the plan to week 10 because the race is 3 weeks out and I have been training somewhat.

Today's workout involves the following:
  • Tuesday - Standard warm up. Run 3 x 1600 meter repeats at 10K pace. After finishing the third 1600 meter repeat, immediately speed up to 5K pace for 800 meters. Do not rest between the third 1600 meter repeat and the 800 meters. Cool down with 800 meters at an easy pace.
The standard warm up is a really mild 10 minute jog. I am still thinking that I can beat my Jug Bay 10K time of 46:21 so I decided that my pace will be 7 min/mi, but my treadmill only increases by tenths of a mile so I ran at a 8.6 mph pace (6:58 min/mi). I was able to hold the paces without a lot of discomfort until the plan called for me to run a final half mile at a 5K pace. Given that I suspect I can run a 21 minute 5K I ratcheted it up to 9 mph (6:40 min/mi pace), but gave up after a quarter mile and jogged out the last 400m. Cooldown involved walking laps around my hot water heater.

Total workout: 5 miles, 44:23 (includes warmup, cooldown, and recovery jogs between intervals)

Recovery: I had one of my wife's L.A. Lite nutrition bars and a glass of water. I plan on sleeping well after the Ultimate Fighter is over.

No comments: