Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Long Run (20 mi - 3:13:48 - 9:40 min/mi)

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Sunday Long Run

The plan was to run the standard one mile warm-up followed by 19 miles this morning. I was supposed to run 13 miles at an easy pace then pick it up to goal marathon pace for the last six miles. Well, I totally forgot about the warm-up mile and ran 14 miles with my goal easy pace of 9:40 min/mi. I ran in 45 minute spurts. At the end of each segment I walked and ate a GU gel and drank some water. I completed the 14 miles in 2:12:00 a 9:25 min/mi pace. I then tried to pick up the pace to goal marathon pace. Mile 15 went by in 8:44. Mile 16 in 8:52.

I'd be happy with a 8:50 min/mi marathon pace. That would be a 3:51:26 marathon and a PR for me by 7 minutes. However, I could not hold the pace and started to run/walk the rest of the way home. I finished the run in 3:13:48, a 9:40 min/mi pace. Not bad given its my longest run since October 10th (my last marathon), but I need to get it together for the next marathon. Twenty mile runs (or thereabouts) used to leave me a bit of pain, but now I can run them, stretch and get on with my day.

No comments: