Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Long Run (10.2 miles in 1:40:00)



I prepared today to run my long distance run for 17 miles with the last 5 at marathon pace, but a cold rain drove me inside to the treadmill once again. A highly unmotivated week of running couldn't have ended worse.

I loaded up my iPod with George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones and began the long trek. A Game of Thrones was promised to be a good book and so far it is delivering. When looking for an image to put on today's blog entry I stumble up the fact that it is going to be a feature film this year. Coincidence I think.

At 9 miles in I decided to end the run when the time counter on my treadmill flipped after 99:59 I just couldn't do anymore. I have several times done double digit miles on the treadmill having flipped the timer. My treadmill abruptly shuts done and waits for you to restart it again when that happens. I've gotten a little wise to this and remember to not be sprinting at the time because it is highly dangerous. So, I completed 10.2 miles in 100 minutes today. I really don't feel bad about it because I might just need the break anyways.

Congratulations to Shalane Flanagan on her 1:09:11 half marathon win today at Houston. With her targeting the marathon soon we could be seeing an American win in one of the majors soon.

No comments: