Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday Quality Workout (5 x 1600m: avg pace 7:04)

The Cherry Blossom Race has been completed and I am now preparing for my next race - the Armed Forces Week 5K. Today's workout was run at the local track:

Standard warm up. Run 5 x 1600 meter repeats at 5K pace. Jog for 400 meters between repeats. Cool down with 800 meters of jogging.

The total mileage was 7.75 miles in 1:02:21.

Intervals
Mile 1 - 6:45
Mile 2 - 7:03
Mile 3 - 7:10
Mile 4 - 7:08
Mile 5 - 7:17

It was a miserable rainy day at the track at DuVal High School. I shared the track the DuVal track team. Since I arrived before them and was putting in the work the coach used my effort to shame them into trying harder. It was nice to have the company. I found myself wondering what kind of short distance wheels I have. They must've done a dozen 200 meter sprints. Maybe one day I'll see if I can run with them.

My workout on the other hand was not exactly as planned. I hit the first mile interval in 6:45, which is right where I planned to be, but I did not hold the pace through the remaining intervals. Nevertheless, I am satisfied that I did the workout in spite of being in a cold rain the whole time and struggling with a stiff neck from a bad previous night sleep.

No comments: