Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Less than 20 days to go until race time

Good ole Hal Higdon. I've used his Novice 1 marathon training plan for 16 weeks now and have logged over 376 miles since January began. Today was the first day I could walk normally after my longest run ever of 20 miles this weekend and I wanted to thank my body by going fast. So, after dinner this evening I headed out to the gym to bang out a 5-miler with a goal of sub-eight minute miles for the whole run.

I did the first 5K (3.1 miles) of this workout at 8 MPH on the treadmill, then took it down to 6.7 MPH for the next mile finishing the run a 8 to 8.3 MPH. The total 5 miles took me 38 minutes 50 seconds, a 7:46 min/mi pace - not bad.

We had a chance to hang out with Helen and Brandon down in Florida and got to talking about Brandon's body building competitions. This got me and Nay inspired and though we aren't entering any upcoming shows we both have been frequenting the Bodybuilding.com website and upping our workout activity. Tonight I lifted weights for about an hour and a half after running.

Workout
  • Bench Press
  • Deadlift
  • Shrug
  • Pushups
  • Pullups
  • 21's
  • Side Curls
  • Hammer Curls
  • Skull Crushers
  • Kickbacks
  • Bent Arm Rows
  • Side Lateral Raises
  • Squats
  • Walking Lunges
I started off with lighter weights because I have not lifted free weights in a while and have lost a lot of muscle in the last year or so. I want to get a more visibly strong physique so I'll be at this for a while and I am going to try to eat better. I actually bought some Whey protein since I don't tend to eat a lot of protein in my normal diet. Speaking of diet, I actually stayed on track with one today. I can get away with eating cookies because I am only 185 lbs (12% body fat), but I can get so much better if I just eat the right things.

No comments: