Sunday, September 12, 2010

Talking marathons


Training is going well. This week I ran 48.06 miles broken down as follows:
  • Monday - rest
  • Tuesday - 9 miles
  • Wednesday - 9 miles
  • Thursday - 6 miles, 3 x 1600m intervals @ 6:38, 6:37, 6:57
  • Friday - 8 miles
  • Saturday - rest
  • Sunday - 16 miles, progression run last 5 miles approx 7:53/mile



I have been listening to a new running podcast that may just be my favorite. The Marathon Talk podcast is a well organized and entertaining running podcast, but what distinguishes this one from my other long form podcasts is that it is more focused on accomplished marathoners either still competing professionally or just really good. There is nothing wrong with the back-of-the pace or beginner running focus, but I am looking for advance techniques. The hosts are two British gents who are sub-3 hour marathoners and because one of them is married to a UK Olympian marathoner they get access to luminaries like: Ryan Hall, Sammy Wanjiru, and Catherine Ndereba.

One of the things I have gleaned so far from them is that I need to get a hill workout in every so often, With 7 weeks until the MCM I am looking for workouts that will give me confidence and strength for a serious hard effort. I know just the hill I want to hit up. I just have to pick a day.

No comments: