Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting ready to race

I am still plugging away at this running thing. August marked my second year training at running distance races. I am happy that my first running injury suffered this June has not completely sabotaged my Fall marathon plans, but my hopes for an early Boston qualifier is almost assuredly off. I gave myself 3 years to run a Boston qualifying race. For me, on the cusp of age 35 that means that I must run 3:15:59 to qualify. That's averaging 7:28/mile for 26.2 miles.

What makes me think I can get to Boston soon? I ran a 5K race in May in 21:06 with a fever. I ran the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in 1:12:57 without gasping, which is an average pace of 7:17/mile. I think that if I didn't injure myself running 50 miles/week I would've been able to post the sub-20 minute 5K and 1:30 half marathon I'd feel gives me the best indicator of my 3:15 potential.

What do I need now? Speed. I will have to ask myself to race 10K every three weeks until MCM to break 3:30. I want to put up at least 2 sub-45 minute 10K (my best race time is 46:21). There are 11 weeks to go until the Marine Corp Marathon. It is time to put up or cruise to the finish line. I prefer to race.

No comments: