Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week 1 of my new 9 week marathon training plan

This Sunday marks the end of my first week after changing my training plan. I feel good about the decision. Each run has been strong and I think that it has to do with the additional day of rest the plan allows. Not having to run hard on Saturday prior to running my LSD on Sunday made a huge difference in how strong I felt doing that distance.

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 7 miles for 1:04:39 @9:14 min/mi - I did this on my basement treadmill because I needed to run early in the morning to go to work on time.
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - 6 mile tempo, 1 mile warmup, two miles at a 7:50 min/mi pace with a 1 mile cooldown
Friday - another treadmill run, 6 miles 55:25 @9:14 min/mi
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 12 miles in 1:44:31 @8:42 min/mi. Ran this faster than I was supposed to because I felt so good. I ran the last mile in 7:44 to emphasize how much better I was feeling

So, in all I think that I've found that the new plan emphasizing the speed workout in Thursday is very agreeable. My left ankle is bothering me. I iced it for a few hours and feel that it might not be "injured" but I should keep off of it .

No comments: